Removal of a sample of tissue with a needle using x-ray, CT or ultrasound guidance. The tissue is then sent to the lab to be studied.
- Resume diet unless otherwise ordered by the doctor.
- Rest for 24 hours. DO NOT perform housework, exercise or go to work for 24 hours after leaving hospital.
- Bathing the next day is permitted. Change the band-aid at the biopsy site every day, and as needed, for the next three (3) days.
- DO NOT drink alcohol or take sleeping pills for 24 hours if given medicine for sedation during this procedure.
- Call the Radiology Department at 828-286-5335 if you have any questions about the procedure.
- If any of the following occur within 72 hours after leaving the hospital, return to the Emergency Department:
- Chest pain or pain at the biopsy area (unrelieved by Tylenol or other pain medicines ordered by your doctor).
- Coughing up large amounts of blood (more than 1 teaspoon).
- Difficulty breathing more than before the procedure not relieved by resting at least five (5) minutes.
- Fever greater than 101 degrees F or chills.
- Infection (redness, warmth, drainage) at biopsy site.
- Swelling or bleeding at the biopsy site that saturates a band-aid in one (1) hour or less.
- Rapid heart beat or dizziness that lasts longer than five (5) minutes and is not relieved by rest.
If unable to contact your doctor and feel you have an emergency, go the Emergency Department.